Baked Stuffed Tomatoes Two Ways Recipe
1. Blue Cheese Roasted Tomatoes
- Ripe native tomatoes, cut into equal halves (any medium size will work)
- Blue cheese
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 400.
- Arrange tomato halves on a baking sheet.
- Cover each ½ with crumbled blue cheese, sprinkle with black pepper, & drizzle with olive oil – all very generously.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until cheese is brown & bubbly. Tomatoes should be “half-cooked” but still hold their shape.
2. Provencal Stuffed Tomatoes
- 2 ripe native tomatoes (medium – large rounds, cored and cut across the middle into equal halves.
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced fine
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley (or basil)
- Olive oil to moisten – approx. 2 – 3 tbs
Serves 2 – 4
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Use a paring knife to remove some of the tomato seeds from their cavities.
- Place tomato halves cut side up on baking sheet.
- In a bowl toss together all of the stuffing, adding enough olive oil to moisten bread crumbs well.
- Place stuffing generously over each tomato ½, mounding a bit.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until crumbs are golden and crisp and tomatoes are soft but still hold their shape.