Homemade Dried Fruit and Nut Granola Recipe
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup sliced almonds (or any kind of nut)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey, plus extra for “finishing”
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 1 cup mixed dried fruits (chopped dates, apricots, cranberries)
Yield Approx. 9 cups
- Preheat oven to 300.
- In a large bowl combine the first 7 ingredients and blend well.
- In a saucepan combine the brown sugar and water, and heat over low just until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oil, 1/3 cup of honey, and vanilla.
- Add this wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix everything thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture on a cookie sheet and bake for approx. 40-45 minutes, or until granola is completely toasted or evenly golden brown in color throughout. Note: It is very important during baking to stir it frequently – starting after 15 minutes and then every 6-7 minutes thereafter. This will help the granola cook evenly and prevent the outside edges from burning.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place granola in a large bowl and add the dried fruits along with 2 tbs additional honey.
- Toss this very well until everything is incorporated.
- Experiment with other dried fruits as well (like regular and golden raisins, dried cherries, blueberries, currants, figs, etc.)
- This granola will last in an airtight container for at least one month. It also makes for a great gift when put in a decorative bag, jar, or tin!