Warm Mushroom and Goat Cheese Bruschetta Recipe
- 1 lb mixed wild mushrooms (portabella, shitake, crimini, oyster, etc.), sliced
- Olive oil
- 2-3 tbs unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs fresh thyme leaves (lemon thyme is delish!)
- 1-2 oz local goat cheese
- Good crusty bread (ciabatta, Italian) cut into ½” thick slices (5-6 slices total)
- Whole peeled garlic clove
To Prepare Bruschetta:
- Heat a large, shallow sauté pan until very hot.
- Add 2 tbs olive oil and 1 tbs butter along with the mushrooms – in a single layer.
- Season well with salt and pepper, add half of the thyme leaves, and cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes until nicely browned (careful – if there’s too much in the pan they will steam and release their water instead of getting delicious color).
- When done add the remaining butter and toss gently.
- Arrange prepared toasts on a large plate and spoon the warm mushroom mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle lightly with the goat cheese, and scatter the remaining fresh thyme over the top.
To Prepare Toasts:
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and drizzle both sides generously with good olive oil.
- Bake at 400, turning once half way, until bread is golden brown and toasty, but not too crisp (7-8 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and rub each bread slice with some of the raw garlic clove on one side.