Ham, Tomato & Sourdough Rarebit Recipe
- 2 large eggs yolks
- 10 tbs crème fraiche (if not available, you can substitute with sour cream)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 cup grated sharp local cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices good quality ham (1/4” thick)
- 4 generous slices ripe tomato
Yield: 2-4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 475.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, crème fraiche, and dry mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Toast the sourdough slices in a toaster and arrange them snugly in a shallow baking dish.
- Meanwhile, heat the ham slices in a small skillet until they pick up a bit of color and are warmed through (about 1 minute per side – over medium –high heat).
- Place a ham slice on top of each piece of toast, then top with a slice of tomato.
- Spoon the cheese mixture over each of the toasts, making sure that it covers all of the bread completely.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until rarebits are brown and bubbly.
- Any type of bread may be used for this, and experiment with different toppings. Other vegetables (cooked spinach or Swiss chard) would be great, or make it the classic way with just the bread and topping – perfect to go with soup or salad too!